28 January 2015

Through the Woods by Emily Carroll

Title: Through the Woods
Author: Emily Carroll
Pages: 208
Genre: Graphic Novel, Gothic, Dark, Fantasy, Fairytale
Book Description: 
'It came from the woods. Most strange things do.'

Five mysterious, spine-tingling stories follow journeys into (and out of?) the eerie abyss.

These chilling tales spring from the macabre imagination of acclaimed and award-winning comic creator Emily Carroll.

Come take a walk in the woods and see what awaits you there...



My Opinion:
I've been wanting to get into graphic novels for a while now because I barely read them so when I saw one of my favourite booktubers do a review on it I knew I had to get it. But because they were American and I live in the UK, the book wasn't on sale in stores here. But today, after looking for many months, I finally found it and I'm the happiest person alive!
This graphic novel is one of the most beautiful books I own. I bought it in hardback because that's the only edition they have and I read it in less than an hour.

It includes 5 Gothic fairytale-inspired stories which are all creepy and beautiful. I loved every single one of them because they were all different and included twists and turns that I wasn't expecting. My favourite story out of the 5 was probably 'A Lady's Hands are Cold' because it had a very unexpected twist and I loved the contrast between the red and blue colour scheme.

The stories weren't gory or graphic, they were just unsettling and some of them gave me chills - which is exactly what I was hoping to experience from this novel!

The illustrations in this novel are phenomenal. The colours used are bright but link in with the story's themes very subtly. The writer sticks to a colour theme and it's just stunning and really represents the horror aspect of the stories.

Overall, this graphic novel was magnificent.  I definitely recommend it; everyone should read it! If you don't like horror, you should still read it because it's not so scary, just a little creepy. If you want to get into graphic novels, this is certainly a great place to start because the artwork is amazing and the stories are intriguing and intense. It's definitely a new favourite book of mine!


Rating ★ 
5 out of 5 stars 

2 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read Through The Woods for soooo long. I never knew that the story consisted of 5 stories, and creepy ones at that! I can't wait to pick this up :)

    I didn't know you changed your header! I was half sleep trying to talk to you and Blessie on voxer when I think you guys were working on it, I like it Jen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wanting to read it since Halloween so as soon as it was in the UK I bought it! I definitely recommend you pick it up:)
      Yeah aha Blessie helped me edit it :) Thanks

      Delete

Hello and thank you for commenting! I advise you to tick the box that says 'Notify me' so you will be sent an email when I reply to you! I will do this asap.
If you have any further questions don't hesitate to send me an email!