24 January 2015

Where There's Smoke by Jodi Picoult

Title: Where There's Smoke
Author: Jodi Picoult
Pages: 41
Genre: Short Story, Contemporary, Fantasy?
Book Description:
Now, in this original short story, available exclusively as an eBook, Picoult introduces Serenity Jones, one of the fascinating characters from her eagerly awaited new novel, Leaving Time.

Even as a child, Serenity Jones knew she possessed unusual psychic gifts. Now, decades later, she’s an acclaimed medium and host of her own widely viewed TV show, where she delivers messages to the living from loved ones who have passed. Lately, though, her efforts to boost ratings and garner fame have compromised her clairvoyant instincts. When Serenity books a young war widow to appear as a guest, the episode quickly unravels, stirring up a troubling controversy. And as she tries to undo the damage—to both her reputation and her show—Serenity finds that pride comes at a high price.






My Opinion:
I saw this as a free novel on iBooks and decided to buy it because it was by one of my favourite authors! I didn't even read the blurb! After I downloaded it, I noticed it was a short story and acted as a prequel to one of her other novels, Leaving Time. I didn't realise this until after I'd read this so now I'm planning on buying the actual story as I'm intrigued to find out what happens to Serenity!

I read this on a 30 minute bus journey and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was really curious to find out what happened and I enjoy things about psychics and spirits anyway. I liked the main character and I really want to read the main novel to find out what new journey her spiritual gifts take her.

I think short stories are really difficult to write but Jodi did a fabulous job here and I really enjoyed it! I would recommend this to anyone because it's such a short book so it can be read if you'r bored or just need to kill time.

Favourite Quotes:

Sometimes, all you can do is watch things burn, and wait for the ash to settle

~~~~

Just because you can't see something, doesn't mean I don't. I can't explain it, I can't understand it, and I can't deny it. So I sure as hell am not gonna fight it



Rating ★
4 out of 5 stars

Next book I'm going to review:
Through the Woods by Emily Carroll

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and thank you for commenting! I advise you to tick the box that says 'Notify me' so you will be sent an email when I reply to you! I will do this asap.
If you have any further questions don't hesitate to send me an email!